Includes Potentially Lifesaving Smart911
The new “AlertMorris’’ notification system is a network providing up-to-the-minute emergency messaging to Jefferson residents and others throughout Morris County. Users may receive notifications in any manner they choose (phone, email, text, social media) to stay informed during major storms or other emergencies taking place throughout the county.
Each municipality has the ability to get the right message to the right user at the right time in just a few seconds from any device connected to the internet. AlertMorris also offers a free Smart911 sign-up option, providing a greatly enhanced and potentially lifesaving 911 emergency call service for those who register.
The sign-up process is simple. Create a profile at https://morriscountynj.gov/about/municipalities by clicking on the green icon next to Jefferson and following the prompts.
Users can enter multiple addresses in multiple jurisdictions within a single profile. For example, those who care for someone in another Morris County town can be notified of issues affecting that municipality.
The program is funded by the county government at no cost to municipalities through the Board of Freeholders, Office of Emergency Management, and Morris County Communications 911 Center in partnership with Rave Mobile Safety. AlertMorris replaces the county’s McUrgent and Everbridge systems, and may eventually replace other notification systems used by some municipalities.
All data from the county’s previous notification system have been exported to AlertMorris, which should provide a seamless transfer process. Nevertheless, previous users are encouraged to re-register to ensure that the new system has all of their pertinent information.
Working with Rave Mobile Safety, the county rolled out Smart911, another free service, in late 2017. (See https://morriscountynj.gov/2017/10/smart911-free-emergency-call-service-is-now-available-to-a-majority-of-morris-county-residents.) Information is secure, accessible only to a 911 call taker. This service can provide key information to responders to make families safer. For example:
- Address Details: How to access the home, number of bedrooms, location of utility shut-offs, type of dwelling.
- Family: Number of residents, ages, photos of children, landline and mobile phone numbers.
- Medical Information: Medical conditions of certain residents, medications taken/required, allergies, mobility of residents, and if special equipment is needed in an emergency.
- Animals: List of pets, service animals, and livestock along with their names, so responders are aware of them when entering the home. Also include the veterinarian’s name.
- Emergency Contacts: Family members, friends, or neighbors to be contacted in case of an emergency.
- Vehicles: Make, model, and license plate number in case of a motor vehicle accident.
Users can select which information to provide to first responders through Smart911.
All Jefferson residents are encouraged to sign up. For questions about AlertMorris or Smart911, contact the Jefferson Police Department (973-697-1300) or the Morris County Office of Emergency Management (973-829-8600).