As a reminder to all Jefferson Township residents:
During this time of the year, we see an increase in motor vehicle burglaries and thefts. We would like to remind you to always lock your vehicle and take the key with you. Here are additional ways to protect yourself from theft:
- Always secure the car doors when parking your vehicle, even for just a few minutes. It takes only seconds to enter an unsecured vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables – such as money, purses, jewelry, cell phones, packages, etc. – in plain view inside your vehicle. Secure them in the glove box, the center console, or, even better, the trunk. Thieves will search other vehicles that are easier targets if they do not see anything of value in your car.
- Park in well-lit areas at night. Outdoor motion sensing lights are a great tool.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked at night. Many burglaries to garages occur with doors left wide open. An open garage door is an invitation to a thief to take anything in sight.
- Be suspicious of anyone approaching your vehicle or roaming your neighborhood.
As always, if you see or hear anything suspicious, please call the Jefferson Township police at 973-697-1300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.