Due to a major roof replacement project at Jefferson Township High School (JTHS), attendees at this year’s Jefferson Fest III, scheduled for July 13 at the high school fields, will not be allowed to enter the school building through the front doors of the school on Weldon Road and walk through the corridor and exit out the back door onto the field.
Instead, attendees will walk into and through the high school’s parking lot B and under the overpass that connects the high school and the middle school to access the back fields. Attendees will also be able to have access, particularly if they park at the middle school or SnoBowl on Weldon Road, by walking down the hill from the back of the middle school building into the high school complex.
All roads lead to the same place, where attendees can experience food offerings from nine food vendors starting at 5 p.m., with free children’s games, a Touch-a-Truck activity, and a DJ from 5 to 7 p.m. The band Jersey Sound will take the stage at 7:15 p.m. for a two-hour concert as the food vendors remain open. The 50/50 raffle winner will be called at 9:25 p.m. The night will be capped off with a fireworks display starting at 9:30 p.m.
The Jefferson Township Police Department is working to provide the safest and most convenient parking possible for the event based on logistics.
Parking will be available at the following locations. Signs will be posted at all entrances indicating where that particular parking lot or area will exit after the fireworks:
- First after pedestrian traffic is clear, Jefferson Township High School Parking Lot B will exit Weldon Road to the RIGHT towards Milton/Oak Ridge.
- Jefferson Township High School Parking Lot A will exit Weldon Road to the RIGHT towards Milton/Oak Ridge and will be let out last after Lot B is clear.
- Morris County’s SnoBowl parking area will exit Weldon Road to the LEFT only towards Lake Hopatcong as directed by the Morris County Park Police and will be the first lot let out.
- Jefferson Township Middle School parking lot will exit Weldon Road to the LEFT only towards Lake Hopatcong and will be let out second, after the SnoBowl lot is empty.
- Those parked at the Jefferson Township Department of Public Works area will exit up Sparta Mountain Road.
- The Jefferson Township Municipal Building/Library parking lot will exit Weldon Road to the LEFT towards Milton/Oak Ridge when Weldon Road is clear of pedestrians.
- Attendees are required to obey all NO PARKING signs along Weldon Road as posted by the police department. Where parking is allowed, vehicles will be directed by police officers on foot and on bicycle patrol to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Police officers stationed at Parking Lot B will only allow vehicles associated with the event to enter onto the field. The names of those individuals/vehicles/organizations will be in hand as provided by the Jefferson Arts Committee.
Handicapped parking spaces will be available in the JTHS Parking Lot B. Police officers will only allow those vehicles with a handicapped placard displayed in a vehicle’s windshield to park in those designated spaces.
The Jefferson Township Police will be assisted by the Morris County Park Police and the Morris County Explorers and will maintain a strong presence before, during, and after the event. Illegal parking and road obstructions will be strictly monitored as will field security and secluded areas around the perimeter.
The football field, bus depot, women’s softball field, and the back areas of the high school gyms are all in the fireworks blast zone and no civilians will be allowed in these areas.
Baggage and/or cooler checks will be conducted, and entry denied if a person does not allow a police officer to check a bag or cooler.
Prohibited items include but are not limited to:
- Smoking tobacco and other like products
- Controlled dangerous substances
No animals of any kind are allowed with the exception of properly tagged seeing eye dogs.
Detailed information on the evening’s event can be found on www.jeffersonarts.org and on the Jefferson Arts Committee’s Facebook page.