Welcome to J-Town Tidbits. Every other week, we will provide you with information that you need to know or should know about the township. Our goal is to help you learn about relevant ordinances and codes in Jefferson as well as other useful and interesting information that perhaps you didn’t know about our community.
Do you have a question you’d like answered? Contact email@example.com, and we will do our best to provide the answer in future columns.
Did you know that Jefferson Township requires that solicitors be licensed?
- In accordance with the Township of Jefferson’s Chapter 359: Peddling, Hawking and Soliciting, peddlers and solicitors must apply through the Township Clerk’s office for a permit to conduct business in the township. The purpose of this chapter is to prevent fraud, crime, and unethical and dishonest business practices. Refer to Chapter 359 in the Jefferson Township Code Book for details at www.ecode360.com/10283800#10283800
- Merchandise--Includes all goods, wares, food, fruit, vegetables, farm products, magazines, periodicals, and all kinds of articles of personal property for domestic use; and orders or contracts for a service home improvement or alterations shall be considered merchandise within the terms of this chapter.
- Peddler–Any person who goes from place to place by traveling on the streets and roads or from house to house carrying, conveying, or transporting goods, wares, or merchandise for the purpose of selling and delivering them to customers. The word “peddler” shall include the words “hawker” and “huckster.”
- Person–Includes the masculine and the feminine and the singular and the plural and shall be construed to mean and include any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, association, club, or any other organization, or any principal or agent thereof.
- Solicitor–Any person who goes from place to place by traveling on the streets and roads or from house to house taking or attempting to take orders for the sale of goods, wares, and merchandise or personal property of any nature whatsoever for future delivery, or for services to be furnished or performed in the future, whether or not such person has, carries or exposes for sale a sample of the object to be sold and whether or not he is collecting advance payments on such sales; the word “solicitor” shall include the word “canvasser”; provided, however, that this definition shall not include wholesalers calling on retail merchants.
- As defined in Chapter 359:
Upon completion of a sworn written application, payment of the $125 fee, and after a thorough investigation by the Jefferson Township Police Department, if approved, the Township Clerk will issue the permit and the applicant can conduct business in the township.
There are some exemptions and under very specific circumstances, licensing does not apply to certain charitable or religious groups. Certain individuals within specific criteria may also be exempt, including those honorably discharged from the US military services, an exempt fireman of a volunteer fire department, any public utility or its employees, a person selling fruits and farm products grown by himself, a school, political, or civic organization, benevolent society, service club, or organization not for profit which is located in, or has a substantial membership from Jefferson Township. Chapter 359 details all these exemptions.
Every holder of a peddler’s or solicitor’s license issued by the Township Clerk is required to carry the license with him while engaged in the business or activity licensed within the corporate limits of the Township of Jefferson. He must produce the license at the request of any official of the Township or of any resident of the Township with whom he wishes to conduct his approved business or activity. Selling activity is restricted within Jefferson Township to the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays through Saturdays. Licensee must adhere to proper notification to the Jefferson Township Police Department as outlined in the code.
The application for a permit can be found at www.jeffersontownship.net through the Forms Center link on the left side of the home page and then scrolling down to the Township Clerk’s section. For further information, contact the Jefferson Township Clerk Michele Reilly at 973-208-6133 or Deputy Clerk Maria Pivirotto at 973-208-6132.