(Always read the recipe twice, assemble, and prepare your ingredients before you begin to cook)
¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved until soft and easily pierced with a fork
Toppings: cooked crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the broth and evaporated milk.
- Scoop the potato pulp from the potatoes and mash.
- Add pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes just to a boil.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with any of the toppings.
- tsp. means teaspoon and tbsp. means tablespoon – use measuring spoons not your cutlery and use standardized measuring cups not a coffee cup